Sunday, August 8, 2010

De-Cluttering Grrrrrrrr!

Ok, so it's not an exact representation of the project I've been tackling for the past two days, but it's close enough!  Clearing out clutter is both tedious and emotional---and let's not even factor in the beautiful variable of menses.... Just makes for more mayhem and emotional volatility.  For months, I've struggled with finding a system for my bedroom that will make it easy for me to find what I'm looking for, have a place for everything and be able to have a neat enough transition area for clothes coming from and heading out to the laundry.   It only works for a time, when I initiate the system and continue the follow through on my own.  But what happens when I'm tired, or unmotivated?  I'm not the only one living in the room, but it seems the creative solutions usually begin with and are carried out by me.

I know I think better when things are organized, so I really try to have viable storage options for most things.  I've pared down the storage closet and it's pretty neat, and periodically I have the kids go in and pull out the remaining boxes so we can further tackle it and diminish the pile.  I'd have to say that of the things that are left in there, most of it is seasonal clothes, boxes to things (computer, playpen, crock pot, extra hangers, etc.) that make moving easier.  There are only a couple boxes of questionable inventory, which I have to go through and purge.  Not looking forward to it at all, 'cause I want to be in the "After" shot right away.    I'd also like another table for the entryway so we can drop mail and keys there and have more shoe storage in the hall closet.

There are little projects like the family room--that has virtually no furniture save the defunct exercise bike, and several bookshelves--which need attention.  I'd like to have a sitting area down there and a spot where the kids can relax and read, play games, and get their homework done.  This is tricky, though, cause my budget is ZERO for these projects, because things are so tight right now.  I know it's possible though, all it takes is a lot of creativity and paying attention to giveaways and making room for what I want in the space.

In all, de-cluttering is a task that has to be tackled in small increments in order to not feel overwhelmed.  Every day a new task can be accomplished and eventually, the After shot can become a reality.  We create our own after either actively or passively---which will it be for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment